1941 to 1948 Timeline
Dr. C.A.V. Barker graduated from the OVC in 1941 and spent 39 years as a faculty member at the college. Barker became internationally known for his pioneering research in the fields of animal reproduction and artificial insemination through the use of frozen semen. His research rapidly advanced the quality and productivity of especially dairy cattle. His work in animal reproduction garnered him a number of professional accolades throughout his career from the Canadian Fertility Society and the International Congress for Animal Reproduction. In 1986, he was made a Member of the Order of Canada. This honour reflected both his contributions to animal reproduction in Canada, but also internationally as he served as a visiting professor or consultant to a number of veterinary schools around the world. Barker was also deeply concerned about the preservation of the history of the OVC and throughout his career collected a number of historically significant items that eventually became the C.A.V. Barker Museum of Veterinary Science.
Dr. Andrew W. McNabb, a former director of the Laboratory Service for the Ontario Department of Health, was appointed Principal of the OVC in 1945. Among the many things he accomplished throughout his tenure as Principal, he established a renewed cordiality between the OVC and the faculty of the University of Toronto as well as encouraged the development of studies in public health at the OVC.
The first diagnostic laboratory was established by the OVC in Kemptville, Ontario. The diagnostic laboratory provides regional access to a wide range of veterinary diagnostic, surveillance and postmortem services on a fee-for-service basis for veterinarians, animal owners, researchers, industry and the OVC teaching hospital. Dr W.R. Mitchell (OVC '49) was appointed as a veterinary extension officer and coordinated diagnostic services from 1952-1963. In 1963, the position was no longer required and Mitchell stepped down. Since the OVC's founding of a diagnostic laboratory in Ontario, each province has since developed its own system.
The veterinary profession in Canada was given further professional status in the 1940s. In 1946, the University of Toronto Senate approved the granting of the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree (DVM). Former graduates who had received their B.V.Sc could apply to exchange their bachelors' degree diplomas for the new doctoral diploma.
Despite the growth of companion animals in early twentieth-century Canada, veterinary students remained overwhelmingly focused on the study and care of large animals. Dr. James Archibald (OVC'49) was considered something of an oddity because of his desire to specialize in small animal medicine. Archibald's specialty preference made him a suitable choice to assist Dr. Frank Cote and later Dr. Wilfred Rumney in running OVC's small animal clinic. Under Archibald's direction, a new surgery unit was established in the Clinical Studies addition built in 1948. The new unit was tiled, well-lit, and air conditioned, which was extremely rare in animal surgery in North America at the time. Archibald introduced pre and post-operative care monitoring and under his supervision the process of scrubbing-up, gowning, masking, the use of sterile gloves, wraps and instruments became a standard practice. This led to OVC becoming the first veterinary college in North America to perform all surgery in aseptic conditions.