1906 to 1908 Timeline
The admissions and educational standards of the OVC, particularly during the Smith Years (1862-1908), were not without controversy. In addition to Smith's disagreement and eventual split with McEachran over the standards of the OVC, alumnus John G. Rutherford also disagreed with the standards employed at the College. Rutherford led a vigorous campaign to refine and increase academic standards which culminated in legislation for veterinary medicine in the province in 1906. That year, a meeting with the Royal Commission of Inquiry regarding the governance of the University of Toronto took place, one of the outcomes of which led to the Government of Ontario to acquire the OVC from Andrew Smith in 1908. During this transition, the curriculum of the College was revised and a three-year program that lead to a Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc) degree was created, as was a post-graduate Doctor of Veterinary Science (DVSc). After the Department of Agriculture took over operation of the OVC, Andrew Smith retired and became a Professor Emeritus.
Edward Grange graduated from the OVC in 1873 and joined the faculty in 1875. Grange was appointed head of the Veterinary Science Department in 1876. In 1908 he was appointed Principal of the OVC. Prior to his appointment in 1908, Grange's influence on the veterinary profession spread outside of Canada. He founded the Department of Veterinary Science at the Michigan Agricultural College in 1883 and was the first Chairman of the Michigan State Veterinary Medical Association. Grange was also the very first Michigan State Veterinarian and served as Principal of the short-lived Detroit College of Veterinary Medicine.