1950 to 1959 Timeline
Dr. Joan (Belcher) Budd holds the distinction of being the first female faculty member at the OVC. Budd graduated from the OVC in 1950 and in 1951 joined the Department of Fur Bearing Animals where she soon assumed full responsibility after the departure of Dr. A.H. Kennedy. Budd was a wildlife pathologist and was a founder in OVC's research programs in fish and wildlife diseases. She also served as a member of the Mammalian and Avian Pest Management Committee for the Ontario Ministry of the Environment.
Canine distemper, a viral disease affecting mainly both domestic and wild dogs as well as ferrets, became part of Budd's research agenda and she was one of the researchers who pioneered a technique to attenuate the virus through growth in eggs. This led to safe vaccines for the disease.
The OVC Alumni Association was formed in 1951. The alumni association's goal is to "[support] a worldwide network of proud alumni and advancing the goals of the college." The alumni association is actively involved in a number of activities including the publication, of the College's newsletter, the OVC Crest, sponsoring various College events, supporting various projects such as the Lifetime Learning Centre and Global Vets, co-ordinating alumni events and reunions at veterinary conferences and other gatherings, supporting student scholarships, and promoting giving to the Alumni Trust.
In the 1980s, the gender dynamics of veterinary science underwent a transformation that saw many more women become veterinary students. However, for a large portion of the OVC's history, veterinary science was a male-dominated profession. The wives of veterinarians played a critical role in the running of practices. In 1951, the OVC Student Wives Auxiliary was formed to facilitate the networking of women as both they and their husbands prepared for their future in the veterinary profession. The OVC Student Wives Auxiliary helped prepare women for their role in a veterinary practice, which was often located in their home. Wives often oversaw the administration of their husband's practices including bookkeeping, corresponding with clientele, and serving as receptionist. They also often served as anesthetist, pre-op and post-op caregiver, surgical assistant and technician. The Wives' Auxiliary helped create a community for the wives and also supported veterinary students through scholarships and awards.
Dr. Trevor Lloyd Jones was appointed Principal of the OVC following the death of Dr. A.L. MacNabb in 1952. Jones had served as Acting Principal for two years prior during MacNabb's illness until he took over the position permanently. During his time as Principal, the research contributions by faculty at OVC increased from 29 in 1952 to 62 in 1962. This marked a shift in the culture of the College to an institution of intensive research as well as teaching. Dr. Trevor Lloyd Jones graduated from the OVC in 1934. Following graduation he earned a Master's degree from McGill University and returned to the OVC to teach. He became Principal of the OVC in 1952 and retired in 1968. Jones was presented an award from the AVMA granted to an individual who had made significant contributions to the advancement of veterinary medicine. He was a honourary associate to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons of Great Britain, was a past chairman of the AVMA's Executive Board and Board of Governors, the AVMA's Group Insurance Trust, and the AVMA's Council on Education. He served as a consultant to two organizations associated with the United Nations: the Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Health Organization. As a consultant, he travelled to numerous countries to advise government officials on veterinary medical education and public health affairs. He was a member of the CVMA and OVA, the Agricultural Institution of Canada, and the Ontario Council of Health. In addition, he served as a president to the American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges.
In 1953, the Farm Service, or Ambulatory Clinic was established at the OVC, following a strong recommendation by the American Veterinary Medical Associationís Council on Education that the College initiate an on-farm teaching program. In response to this recommendation, Principal Trevor Lloyd Jones hired Dr. Douglas C. Maplesden (OVC '50), a veterinarian for a large beef-breeding farm in Texas, and Dr. Jack F. Cote (OVC '51), who was in large animal practice in Stoufville, Ontario, to start the OVC Farm Service. Large animal service was and still is offered to farms within twenty miles of Guelph, twenty-four hours, and seven days a week. Initially two students were present with the clinician on farm calls, however now up to four students may attend at once. The Farm Service provided a consultation service to other practices in Ontario as well as interesting teaching material for the OVC teaching hospital. In addition, the Farm Service administered clinical material to allow for research, testing, and graduate student training in the use of McSherry's Solution for fluid therapy in calves, mastitis control, bovine and equine parasite control, ketosis and milk fever, and feed colt respiratory problems.
The OVC has a long history of involvement in artificial breeding research. Dr. J.W. Macpherson (OVC '45) investigated frozen semen protocols during the early stages of artificial insemination research in the 1950s. In 1954, Macpherson produced samples of glycerinated milk diluents and used them with the freezing and storage of numerous samples of bovine semen. At the time, semen samples for the artificial breeding of cattle were typically stored at -250C for up to three to five days. With Macpherson's research, successful samples were stored at -790C for up to fifteen months. Macpherson's innovative experiments heavily influenced future research in the field.
Bovine mastitis is a disease of the udder. It occurs when bacteria infects the glands and grows in the milk the glands produce. Staphylococcus aureus is a bacterium that causes one of the most common types of mastitis, S. aureus mastitis. During the 1940s, as World War II came to an end, antibiotics became more available for use. Dr. D. Barnum and Dr. F. Newbould successfully used antibiotics to treat milk infected with S. aureus and furthered their research with the Califirnia Mastitis Test (CMT). The CMT is a rapid, accurate test to help determine somatic cell counts (SCC) in a specific cow. SCC are white blood cells that increase in numbers when bacteria that could cause mastitis are present. Barnum and Newbould controlled infection by eliminating SCC within the gland using antibiotics. They published research in 1956 and 1957 regarding the treatment and care of the disease along with procedures and sanitary measures to prevent infection and spread of the bacteria.
Dr. Parvathi Basrur became the first female full professor appointed to the OVC. She is an international authority on animal genetics. She has worked with the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) and the International Research and Development Research Centre (IDRC). Basrur has assisted breeders around the world their livestock's milk and meat producing capabilities and has shared her knowledge with researchers and farmers in developing nations to find solutions to fertility-related reproductive problems. She was appointed a Member of the Order of Canada in 2004.